Saturday 5 March 2016

My lips are (con) sealed








I can't explain to you the number of times concealer has saved my ass. From a very aggressive looking, monster spot on my fore head, to the tell tell redness of a recently threaded upper lip. Concealer has had my back every time. There was a time though, way back in the early 2000's (before eyebrows became EVERYTHING and plump lips where the dream) when I didn't even use concealer, and when I did it looked terrible. Believe me, I've seen photos... So I thought I'd share with you some of my top tips on getting your concealer looking perfect. 

1. Colour Match
Matching your concealer to your skin tone is just as important as finding the perfect shade to your foundation. Get the colour slightly off and you are only drawing attention to the areas you are trying to hide. Clue is in the name really isn't it? I match my concealer up to my face the same as when choosing a foundation. You don't even need to buy it there and then, apply a sample on your neck and see how it looks in various lighting throughout the day. 

2. Have More Than One
Don't worry, you can blame me for getting told off for buying "stuff that you got loads of already" I really like the finish concealer gives as a base for your highlight and contour. If I'm going for a glam, evening look that I want to last all night, I use a concealer a couple shades lighter than my skin tone on the high points of my face and a few shades darker for a contour. Try to avoid going too extreme with the shade difference or you'll end up looking as though you've got sunburnt whilst wearing skiing goggles. 

3. Use Different Textures
I generally use a more liquid concealer for under the eyes. It blends a lot easier and won't look too cakey or settle into any lines and creases. For naughty blemishes I use something which backs a bit more of a punch with full coverage. 

4. Be Hygienic
 There are so many concealers out there with doe foot applicators, great for precision when applying around the eyes, but the worse for bacteria to find it's way into the rest of the pot. I use the back of my hand to get the product out, then use a brush to apply it wherever it is needed. Leaving you looking flawless and your little concealer germ free! 

5. Get Tapping
The great Wayne Goss has a video on his YouTube all about this tip, take a look here. It's just a little trick of tapping your concealer in. The warmth of your fingers get the product blended in evenly and doesn't look too heavy. 

6. Don't Be A Snob
Brand snobbery may mean you miss out on amazing products! I honestly recommend you try out as many different brands as possible, how knows, you may find a concealer for £2 that will become the be all and end all of your makeup world. 

7. Your Foundation & Concealer Are A Team
Honestly, there's a whole Thelma and Louise relationship vibe about your foundation and concealer. Try not to leave the majority of the job up to only one of these products. I know from experience that it's tempting to use a full coverage foundation over your entire face, most of the time you don't really need to. Foundation's job is to even out the skin tone, while concealer finishes it all off with an extra helping hand in hiding anything you wanted. Working with these two products evenly will leave you with a flawless, natural look without using a ton of slap! 

8. Don't Forget To Remove It All
Be sure to properly cleanse away your concealer, especially around the corner of the eyes and lids. Just a quick swipe of your makeup remover doesn't do the trick. What I like to do is take some cotton pads that are damp with Micellar Water and rest them on my eyes. The cleanser will work away at removing all your eye make up without all that nasty tugging on the skin. 





There you have it, some tips on how to handle your concealer! Do any of you have any tips I haven't mentioned? I'd love to know in the comments below xo 



email jessietereza@icloud.com

twitter
instagram
facebook 





No comments:

Post a Comment